Posts Tagged ‘jack moffitt’
Jack Moffitt presented at BarCamp Albuquerque about start-ups and start-up related ideas. I’m pretty sure that Jack qualifies as a serial entrepreneur. I believe he is on his sixth start-up at the time of this writing. Jack also spoke on day two of BarCamp about xmpp, so stay tuned for that.
Upgrade NM has now come to close and we successfully completed the two projects we worked toward. We set out to rework 1st-mile.com and our own Upgrade NM site and we made it. Of course as with all web projects the work is never really done, but at the end of the weekend we accomplished what we set out to do.
The 1st-mile project has been posted on the Upgrade NM server so people can poke at it and see what it looks like. You can also see the origional version of the 1st-mile site at 1st-mile.com. You can also look at the new Upgrade NM site and make a suggestion for the next go around, or sign up to participate next time.
Overall this was a lot more relaxed that the sprint we did last year, probably because of the extra day we had this time. Somethings remained the same; however, like the bottle-necks that happen waiting for one person to get something done before another person can start their part. I guess that is just the nature of the beast with this type of activity. It was also fun like last time. Something magical happens when a bunch of like minded people get together to get something done. I think we all learned something along the way as well, which is always a good thing.
I guess this kind of thing is starting to gain some momentum. Here locally we have done two of these events, but this morning as I noticed that WOW was having an Extreme Markover. I guess we all like to help out and give back.
For more information check out my previous post for what happened yesterday and see some of the work in progress. You can also check out “My Weekend with Upgrade NM” on A Blog Not Limited (from Emily Lewis) or “UpgradeNM Sprint #1” on Story to Tell (from Daniel Lyons) to read their account of the weekend. You can also see photos on flickr by searching for ”Upgrade NM”.
Here is a list of people who helped out, and basically what they did:
- Michael Bernstein – Plone & Python developer – back end integration and upgrading of the 1st-mile site
- Reid Givens – Design, Mark-up and a dabble of jquery – Designed both sites, did the mark-up for Upgrade NM and did a tiny bit of jquery for the 1st-mile widget
- Emily Lewis – Mark-up and content development – Content creation for 1st-mile, did the mark-up for 1st-mile and tweaked the mark-up for the Upgrade NM site to make it more accessible and to allow for graceful degradation.
- Daniel Lyons – Programmer – Wrote he back end for the Upgrade NM site with Gabe and helped sort out the tough stuff on the 1st-mile homepage widget.
- Jack Moffitt – Quality Assurance and Programming – Tested the sites for bugs and helped sanitize the data input for Upgrade NM.
- Gabe Ortiz – Programmer – Wrote the back end for the Upgrade NM site with Daniel
- Eric Renz-Whitmore – logistics and content – Eric, while not a web developer, was helpful in making sure we had the space, internet access, power, food, Mountain Dew and also helped pull some content for the 1st mile site.
It’s really early in the morning and here I am writing about Upgrade NM day 1. I guess it’s not that early, but earlier than I want to be awake for today. Oh well, we’re not gonna stop now, we had a good day yesterday and I think we will meet success today for this years Upgrade NM.
Upgrade NM is like the sprint we did last year. It’s an event where many New Mexico web developers get together and try to do a complete web site build in a short period of time. Last year it was a day and this year we are using the weekend. The event last from 8am to 8pm both Saturday and Sunday and all planning and work must be completed in those hours. This year we are redesigning, upgrading, adding functionality and new content to the 1st-mile.com website. We are also going to build the UpgradeNM.org site so in the future we can involve the community in the process of identifying projects and participants for future Upgrade events.
We do it as a way of giving back to our community and to show the local area that there is talent here that accomplish these types of projects. Often this kind of work gets outsources out of state, and there is not good reason for it. We have a great talent pool right here in town. It’s also fun just to get all of us together and see what we can do, and help out some folks who might not be able to get this level of help normally.
So here we are about to start day two and we are looking pretty good. We have a new design and and some new content we need to get integrated into an update version of plone that is running the current 1st-mile site. We also have the design and front end markup for the UpgradeNM site and we just need to build out the back end. So far its been a great run and think we have enough done and enough time to finish it. Keep a look out to hear more after today is over to see how far it all got.
Here is the original 1st mile site:
Here is our current version:
Here is the current media-wiki install for UpgradeNM:
Here is the new design for Upgrade NM:
Here is who participated today: